ARCHIVED - BSF5140 - CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

Catalogue No. PS38-53/2014E-PDF
ISBN 978-0-660-02067-9

The CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program is a result of the Canada – United States Accord on Our Shared Border. The Accord sets out initiatives to promote trade, tourism and travel between the two countries.

If your company operates an aircraft that often flies into Canada directly from the United States, you may be interested in the enhancements made to the CANPASS program that have been specifically designed for corporate aircraft users. The CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program allows you to access more airports and provides expedited clearances.

This program also streamlines border clearance for low-risk travellers.

What are the benefits of the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program?

CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program members can land at an airport of entry whenever that facility is open for business, regardless of the hours of operation of the local Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office. In addition, members may choose to use one of the designated CANPASS only airports.

As a CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program member, you can transport up to four non-paying  passengers who are not registered members of the program but can still enjoy all the CANPASS program benefits. These travellers are eligible to receive a temporary authorization to accompany you on any single passage at a cost of CAN$25 per entry to Canada.


  • When using your CANPASS privileges, the aircraft cannot be carrying more than 15 people. This includes members of the crew, CANPASS members and temporarily authorized travellers.
  • You cannot charge your passengers a fee for passage when using your CANPASS privileges.
  • The four non-paying passengers must be travelling to Canada on your corporate aircraft for a business-related need of your company.
  • A maximum of four people with temporary authorizations are permitted per passage. This includes any temporary authorization issued to the pilot or members of the crew of your corporate aircraft.

How can a corporation participate in the program?

Corporations can register their employees in the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program. However, each employee has to complete Form E672, CANPASS Application Form. A corporation wishing to participate in the program must provide the CBSA with a valid visa, MasterCard or American Express (amex) account number and permission to bill appropriate charges to that account. This requires completing a billing authorization Form E679, CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft , and submitting it with the CANPASS Application Form. This mandatory arrangement allows convenient automatic billing of all processing fees and any charges relating to non-registered individuals who may travel to Canada in the corporate aircraft, as described above.

Who qualifies for CANPASS membership?

Employees of your corporation may qualify for the program and receive a CANPASS membership if they are citizens or permanent residents of Canada, or citizens or resident aliens of the United States.

Individuals can request temporary authorization if they can demonstrate a work-based relationship with your corporation and are able to meet the same citizenship and residency criteria as program members.

However, an individual will not qualify for CANPASS membership or receive temporary authorization if that individual:

  • cannot demonstrate a work-based relationship with your corporation;
  • provides false or incomplete information on the application form;
  • has been convicted of a criminal offence in any country for which a pardon has not been granted;
  • has been found in violation of customs or immigration legislation; or
  • is inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

How to apply for CANPASS membership

Each applicant from the corporation must complete and sign an application form.

If the employees choose to complete Form E672, CANPASS Application Form, we will use the information provided to determine their eligibility. Once an employee is accepted into the program, membership is valid for five years.


  • If employees need additional documents such as student or employment authorizations, contact the nearest Canadian immigration centre before applying for the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program.
  • Canadian and United States citizens have to provide proof of citizenship (e.g., a photocopy of a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport).
  • Canadian permanent residents or United States resident aliens have to provide proof of legal residence in either country (e.g., a photocopy of a record of landing in Canada, a valid Canadian permanent resident card or a valid United States permanent resident card).
  • attach photocopies only; we will not return the copies you send. Do not send original documents with the application. Original documents must accompany the passengers on all passages into Canada.

The corporation is required to submit all applications, with the non-refundable processing fee of CAN$40 for each applicant 18 years or older, and the billing authorization (Form E679) to one of the following offices:

Western Canada
Canadian Processing Centre
28 – 176th Street
Surrey BC V3S 9R9
Telephone: (604) 538-3689

Canadian Processing Centre
6080 McLeod Road
P.O. Box 126
Niagara Falls ON L2E 6T1
Telephone: (905) 371-1477 or 1-800-842-7647 (toll-free)

Québec and Atlantic Canada
Canadian Processing Centre
400 Place d'Youville
Montréal QC H2Y 2C2
Telephone: (514) 350-6137

You can pay the processing fee of CAN$40 for each applicant 18 years or older using visa, MasterCard or amex. You can also attach a cheque or money order in Canadian funds payable to the Receiver General for Canada.

Processing fees are non-refundable.

Do not send cash.


  • We will not process applications before we have all the necessary documents.
  • You will receive a CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft authorization for each applicant we accept into the program.

Completing the application

Each employee from your corporation who wants to participate in the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program has to fill out and sign an application form. Parents or legal guardians have to complete the application on behalf of employees under the age of 18. The processing fee is waived for applicants under the age of 18. Please follow the instructions, "How to complete the application", on the back of the form.

Indicate your corporation's membership number on the application form if the corporation is already a member of the CANPASS program.

How do CANPASS members present themselves and report goods?

The pilot is the person in charge of the aircraft. CANPASS members must present themselves and report goods through the pilot. Pilots are responsible for presenting themselves, their crew and passengers by:

  • calling 1-888-CANPASS (226-7277) at least 2 hours before but not more than 48 hours prior to arrival in Canada;
  • giving the estimated time of arrival (ETA);
  • giving the aircraft tail number/aircraft registration mark;
  • giving the full name, date of birth and citizenship for all persons on board the aircraft;
  • calling 1-888-CANPASS again to report any change in the ETA, point of arrival or other information;
  • giving the destination, purpose of trip and length of stay in Canada for each passenger who is a nonresident of Canada;
  • giving the length of absence for each passenger who is a returning resident of Canada;
  • giving the passport and visa information of passengers (including members of the crew), if applicable;
  • making sure all passengers have photo identification and proof of citizenship documents;
  • declaring all goods being imported, including firearms and weapons;
  • reporting all currency and/or monetary instruments totaling CAN$10,000 or more;
  • for returning residents of Canada, declaring all repairs or modifications made to goods (including the aircraft) while outside Canada; and
  • giving true and complete information.

In addition to the above, the person in charge of the conveyance is responsible for the following:

  • ensuring that all persons being transported into Canada on board the aircraft are in possession of all travel documents required by the legislation, i.e. passports, visas, or other; and
  • the removal of inadmissible passengers and any associated administrative and medical expenses and fees.


  • Should any of the above information change, you must contact the telephone reporting centre (TRC) and provide an update before the aircraft arrives in Canada.
  • Any contraventions of the legislation may result in detention, seizure or forfeiture of the conveyance and/or lead to criminal prosecution, monetary penalties and/or imprisonment.

As proof of presentation, the border services officer will give the pilot a report number. The aircraft has to land at the airport of entry reported to the CBSA and if a border services officer is not there to meet the aircraft when it arrives at the reported ETA or actual time of arrival (whichever is later), the pilot may then proceed to the final destination. No second call is required at this time.


  • Calling 1-888-CANPASS arranges CBSA clearance only. It does not replace the requirement to file a flight plan with nav canada
  • All persons on board the aircraft must hold a CANPASS authorization or receive a temporary authorization for a passage.
  • If transporting persons into Canada who are not CANPASS members or who are not temporarily authorized travellers, the aircraft must arrive during regular CBSA office hours at a designated airport of entry.
  • When making a declaration at the telephone reporting centre (TRC), the pilot must identify all persons who are applying for a temporary authorization.
  • If the flight originates outside of the United States and the 1-888-CANPASS service is not available, the pilot should call the following TRC. Long-distance charges will apply.
  • TRC for all of Canada
    Hamilton, ON
    Telephone: 905-679-2073
    Fax: 905-679-6877

What are your responsibilities?

As a CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program member, whether you are the person in charge of the aircraft, a member of the crew or a passenger, you must:

  • show your CANPASS authorization, personal identification (original documents) and any required immigration documents to a border services officer upon request;
  • not transfer your CANPASS privileges, identification or documents; and
  • follow all the rules and requirements listed in this brochure and in the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft Participant's Guide, and all the terms and conditions set out on your CANPASS authorization.

Note: Although it is the responsibility of the person in charge of the aircraft to report on behalf of all authorized persons on board, each individual remains responsible for complying with customs and immigration legislation.

What are the import restrictions?

All travellers can import goods for their personal use. United States residents must return all imported goods to the United States unless the goods were consumed while in Canada.

However, whether you are a CANPASS member or one of the four temporary authorized travellers arriving on a CANPASS flight, the following import restrictions apply:

  • You cannot import any promotional materials, including samples, commercial goods or equipment using your CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft privileges. To import these goods, you have to follow non-CANPASS general aviation flight procedures and arrive during regular CBSA office hours at an airport designated as an airport of entry.
  • You cannot import controlled, restricted or prohibited animals, plants or goods as described in the publication for Canadian residents called
  • I Declare or the publication for United States residents called Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents.
  • You cannot import prohibited goods into Canada. These include prohibited firearms and weapons such as mace, pepper spray and stun guns. For information about prohibited goods, see the publications I Declare and Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents. If you plan to import firearms or weapons for hunting or for a competition, for example, read and follow the procedures in the guide called Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada.
  • There are restrictions on importing alcohol and tobacco products into Canada. For more information, see the publications I Declare or Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents.
  • Controlled, restricted or prohibited goods will be seized by the CBSA and you may be subject to criminal prosecution.

Are there penalties?

Even if we determine that you are a low-risk traveller and we grant you CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft membership, you continue to be subject to random examinations to ensure that you comply with the terms and conditions of the CANPASS program, as well as any other legislation administered or enforced by the CBSA.

We can revoke or suspend your membership if you fail to comply with the requirements and procedures of the CANPASS – Corporate Aircraft program. This includes non-compliance with customs and immigration legislation or any other laws the CBSA administers.

Depending on the severity of the violation, the CBSA can impose penalties and seize any goods and any aircraft used to carry the goods. As well, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.

Need more information?

Visit our Web site or call the Border Information Service (BIS) at 1-800-461-9999.

Note: If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access BIS by calling (204) 983-3500 or (506) 636-5064. Long-distance charges will apply.

Date modified: